INGREDIENTS – casserole
SERVES SIX (for 12 servings, double ingredients, but best to cook in separate dishes to ensure proper cooking)
- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (must be cool or will cook egg when added)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup milk (whole milk, or use some light cream)
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS – topping
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans (use knife to chop roughly, not food processor, it cuts too small)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
Boil sweet potatoes in their skins till just soft but firm in the middle (about 10 minutes).
Cool potatoes, then peel off the skins, trimming off the ends to remove hard fibres.
In a mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes well, then add white sugar, milk (and/or cream), butter, eggs, salt and vanilla and beat until smooth. A blender works well for this operation, mixing in several batches, then recombining.
Transfer the potato mix into a greased, 2 quart baking dish (ideally, one that is not too deep to aid even cooking).
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chopped pecans and flour; cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the potato mixture.
Bake uncovered at 325 degrees F for 45-50 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
NOTE: If you double the recipe, it may take more than double the time to cook. Also, if you need to cook it with meat in the same oven, it’s ok to cook it at 350-375 degrees; just want to make sure it doesn’t burn.